As I continue through the slip'n'slide life of an artist and graduate, the day helped to consolidate my practice as (among other things) a writer for magazines and blogs (most recently for Newfangled Press)
Here are some phrases and tips that landed in my ears throughout the day:
Patrick Langley (The White Review)
- art writing as memoir and/or fiction
- the novel as curated form
- 'professional hybridisation'
- "we need an erotics of art" - Susan Sontag
Mary Paterson ('It Moves' - a performative lecture)
- "this is a lie"
- the gaps in language that can be filled in/expanded
- "language is a suit of someone else's clothes you try on" - Tim Etchells
Phil Owen (Tertulia)
- experiments in voice and language
- this made me think about the use of Instagram and the production of performance videos using recorded voice and text. I'd like to work in this way on I CAN//I CAN'T and other past pieces
- "truths that aren't lies don;t have to be a lie"
Tom Jefferies (Learned Pig)
- thoughts of psycho-geography
- gave me more ideas on my future piece of writing 'Eternity, Sometimes'
Greg Neale (Resurgence and The Ecologist)
- expect the unexpected
- afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted
- who are you writing for and what do they want?
- create your own career and be flexible